Thursday, May 3, 2012

Homemade Cobia Ceviche a la Palm Beach

I spent the past weekend visiting my friend Caroline and her boyfriend Brendan in West Palm Beach.  Upon my arrival I found that Brendan had recently been on a fishing trip, where he caught a Cobia.  Cobia is a tasty,  white fish that is sometimes called a Black Salmon.  A fun fish to catch, because it puts up quite a fight, and a interestingly delicious fish to eat.  

Old Man Brendan with the Cobia, after an hour-long fight!  I know it looks absolutely foul, but don't judge a fish by its cover.

So, with all of this fresh fish we had a cook-out, where I made my first home-made Ceviche, grilled bottle neck clams, and smoked a king fish.


To me, cooking is art, and I enjoy it so thoroughly.  I love that you can make it up as you go, and make any recipe your own.  So, I looked at a few recipes and went from there....

I give to you:   

Delicious Cobia Ceviche a la Palm Beach!


2 lbs firm, fresh fish, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 red onion, diced
1 cup of chopped seeded red tomatoes
2 tablespoons of salt
Tobasco and Cayenne Pepper to taste

Let the fish cook in the ingredient and juices for a few hours until it is fully white. 

Add Avacodo and Cilantro when serving
Eat with tortilla chips or alone!  

picture of the Civiche.    

Unfortunately, my phone died and this was the only picture I captured.... Altogether, it looked more like this:  





The Ceviche was delicious and the trip was wonderful.  I love spending time with Caroline!   

Two happy girls by the sea!



1 comment:

  1. looks amazing helen! make sure the tortuga wears his seat belt on the long flight over!

    ReplyDelete