Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Murals


My latest trip to Philadelphia and New York leaves me with Murals on the mind.  My love for this particular art form dates back to the summer of 2002, when I fell in love with Diego Rivera on a trip to Mexico City.  Later, I studied his murals and works at my university.  Murals can change history and the way people view it. They can completely change a broken city to one beautiful, surviving and vibrant.  



In South Philadelphia, in an alley strewn with crime, broken glass, and syringes, I find a beautiful lovers mosaic...  
and a South Philly Mermaid.


Mural on the Wall at the Carlyle Cafe Paints the Mood - NYC

Woody Allen Playing the Clarinet with the New Orleans Rag Time Band Didn't Hurt Either...
Another View of Carlyle Cafe Late Night


And my favorite...
Diego Rivera's 'Agrarian Leader Zapata' (1931)
Diego Rivera is at the MoMA right now.  If you can, check him out.






JR's TED Prize Wish: Use Art to Turn the World Inside Out
Interesting Video on How Art Can Save the World




Murals, Street Art, and Graffitti have all become a way today to express the view of the people, and when used in the right way can evoke beauty and create a positive outlook that can change the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment